The South African President Jacob Zuma has announced that 67 of its citizens died in last Friday’s building collapse in Lagos at the Synagogue Church of All Nation.
“I am greatly saddened to announce that 67 South Africans died and scores of others sustained injuries, after a building at the Synagogue Church of All Nation collapsed on Friday,” zuma said in his statement. Less than 5 South African church tour groups were at the synagogue church at the time of the incident, according to the officials.
Nigerian officials at the site said that the death toll had claimed to 63, up form 49 on Monday. Zuma said that South Africa was grieving. “Not in the history of our country have we had this large number of our people die in one incident outside the country”.
The President mourns the 67 citizens with the whole nation and shares the pain of the mothers, fathers, daughters and sons who have lost their loved ones.” We are in all in grief.”
Zuma said that he has ordered the government department to help family members get to nigeria to identify their loved ones, and repatriate the remains as soon as possible.
As at yesterday, rescuers said 63 bodies has been brought out of the rubble although rescue efforts were ongoing . Reacting to Zuma’s claim, Southwest spokesman of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) Ibrahim Farinloye, said he might because they have documented evidence of their members who came to Nigeria for spiritual exercise at Synagogue Church of All Nation (SCOAN)
He added that the South African Ambassador lulu louis muguni has been coming here. he sad that it is an international operation and we cannot hide anything. ” The various embassies have their records of their nationals , their passport numbers, copies of visas, names and other relevant information. What i know is that so far, we have recovered 63 bodies and 131persons have been rescued alive. Rescue operations are still ongoing”.
What Others Are Reading