OVERVIEW, AIM & OBJECTIVES OF STUDENT INDUSTRIAL WORK EXPERIENCE SCHEME (SIWES)
SIWES which stands for Student Industrial Work Experience Scheme was initiated by the Industrial Training Fund (ITF) in 1973 so as to complement the theoretical knowledge acquired in higher institutions with practical experience.
The goal of SIWES is to promote industrialization in Nigeria, and an avenue between the world of teaching, learning, industry and work with reference to a field of study such as engineering, science, Agriculture, technology and other professional education programs.
The scheme is therefore a skill training oriented program so as to expose the students on work they would meet after graduation.
The minimum duration of the program is normally 24 weeks except for engineering and technological programs where the minimum duration is 40 weeks. It was founded by the federal government of Nigeria and jointly coordinated by the industrial training fund (ITF) and the national universities commission (NUC).
AIM & OBJECTIVES OF STUDENT INDUSTRIAL WORK EXPERIENCE SCHEME (SIWES)
SIWES provides avenue for student to acquire industrial skills and experience in their approved course of study. It also prepare student for their industrial work situation after graduation.
The objectives of the students industrial training work experience scheme are:
- Provision of avenue for students in the Nigerian universities to gain industrial skills and experience in their course of study.
- To prepare students for the work situation they are likely to meet after graduation.
- To expose students to work methods and techniques in handling equipment and machinery that may not be available in the universities.
- To make the transition from the university to the world of world of work easier, and thus enhance students contacts for later job placement.
- To provide students with an opportunity to apply their theoretical knowledge in real work situation, thereby bridging the gap between university work and actual practice.
- To enlist and strengthen employers involvement in entire educational process of preparing university graduates for employment.